43-1 IN WRAL SURVEY SUPPORT MEDICAL MARIJUANA IN NC: Some viewers spoke from personal experience with medical marijuana. "I support medical cannabis because I'm a veteran of the Iraq war. And I was diagnosed with PTSD after I got out of military," said Thomas Baker in Wake County. "I was living in California at the time, and was able to access medical cannabis, and it truly helped save my life." Others said it could help them with their current medical conditions. "I hope the North Carolina General Assembly will approve medical marijuana for those of us that deal with chronic back pain due to failed back surgeries, failed nerve issues, multiple sclerosis, war victims, and so on," said Johnston County's Tanya Clemmons Cook "We deserve a break." Some said it could be a pain-management alternative to opioids, without the risk of overdose those drugs continue to pose.
NIKOLE HANNAH-JONES SPEAKS OUT ABOUT REFUSAL OF UNC'S TENURE OFFER: In announcing that she would not join the faculty of UNC-CH after a bruising but victorious fight over tenure, Hannah-Jones admonished the university Tuesday to begin to fulfill its obligations to Black students and employees. “In the case of my tenure, the university has, begrudgingly, done the absolute minimum,” Hannah-Jones wrote in a statement. “In a split vote, it did what it was supposed to have done 7 months ago and, in doing so, many believe the university has resolved the issue. It has not.” Hannah-Jones said that if UNC leaders sincerely wish to redeem themselves — “to live up to the university’s status as the people’s university” — they should: apologize to protesters who were physically shoved out of the Board of Trustees meeting last week where Hannah-Jones’ tenure was finally brought to a vote, and agree to a list of demands from the Carolina Black Caucus, which requires “an actual commitment, with targets, for recruiting, supporting, and retaining Black faculty.”
THE BATTLE OF ALAMANCE CONTINUES, OFFICIALS REFUSE TO RELEASE POLICE VIDEOS: Alamance County Superior Court Judge Andrew Hanford ordered Graham Police and the Alamance County Sheriff’s Office to release all video from the march and crackdown by June 25. The police filed a notice of appeal last week, and the sheriff's office simply did not release its footage. Anthony Biller, the lawyer representing Graham Police, filed a “stay” with Alamance County Superior Court Thursday to stop the release of any of that video pending an appeal. Biller also offered a settlement to release the video if those outlets agree to blur the faces and badges of law enforcement officers, according to Mike Tadych, the lawyer representing seven news outlets, including the Times-News. Tadych summarized his exchange with Biller in a series of emails to journalists involved in the suit. He asked Biller if the recordings didn’t already capture public events. Biller responded the events happened in public but the recordings did not, which Tadych stated “makes no sense….” Multiple officers identified only as John and Jane Doe are named in a federal lawsuit against the city and county over the Oct. 31 events. The judge in that federal suit already refused a request to release those officers’ identities before the legal discovery process started. Biller argues that releasing their names and faces in those videos would disrupt that process.
FBI STILL SEARCHING FOR SOME 300 JAN 6 INSURRECTIONISTS: Among those who still haven't been caught: the person who planted two pipe bombs outside the offices of the Republican and Democratic national committees the night before the melee, as well as many people accused of attacks on law enforcement officers or violence and threats against journalists. The FBI website seeking information about those involved in the Capitol violence includes more than 900 pictures of roughly 300 people labeled “unidentified.” Part of the problem is that authorities made very few arrests on Jan. 6. They were focused instead on clearing the building of members of the massive mob that attacked police, damaged historic property and combed the halls for lawmakers they threatened to kill. Federal investigators are forced to go back and hunt down participants. The FBI has since received countless tips and pieces of digital media from the public. But a tip is only the first step of a painstaking process — involving things like search warrants and interviews — to confirm people's identities and their presence at the insurrection in order to bring a case in court. And authorities have no record of many of the attackers because this was their first run-in with the law.
BANK OF AMERICA LAWYER SENT TO PRISON IN HONG KONG FOR SCUFFLING WITH POLICE: An American corporate lawyer was sentenced to prison in Hong Kong on Tuesday for assaulting a plainclothes police officer in 2019, during the pro-democracy protests in the city. Samuel Bickett, 37, was ordered to serve four months and two weeks behind bars after being convicted and denied bail last month. The former compliance director at Bank of America Merrill Lynch was on his way to dinner in late 2019 when he saw a man hitting a teenager with a baton and stopped to intervene. The assailant turned out to be an off-duty policeman. An altercation between the man, identified later as Yu Shu-sang, and other bystanders ensued. Yu repeatedly said he was not a police officer. Footage shows him later lunge at Bickett with his baton in his right hand, before he falls over a railing. Bickett then attempts to wrestle his baton away. In Tuesday’s sentencing, Magistrate Arthur Lam called Bickett’s acts “a serious threat to public order,” citing multiple injuries suffered by the police officer. As the assault happened in a “crowded area,” Bickett’s actions could have affected others’ emotions and “incited a bigger conflict,” he said. In a statement shared with The Washington Post before he was jailed, Bickett said the verdict was “outrageous” and a violation of legal precedent. The former prosecutor in his case, he added, told his defense team that charges were pursued because Bickett had embarrassed the police.