Less than 50% of North Carolinians have non-government provided health insurance

I was listening to WUNC this morning, and they said something that shocked me. Apparently over 20% of North Carolinians do not have any health insurance right now, due to either their job not providing it and not having money to pay for it themselves or because they are unemployed. That combined with over 30% of North Carolinians who are on Medicaid or Medicare means that over 50% of North Carolinians are either on government programs or have no health insurance at all.

This combined with the Paul Krugman piece in the New York Times about the real need for Obama to push health care shows that health insurance really is one of the most critical problems right now. Programs like SCHIPS and Medicaid/Medicare are merely steps towards what we should be doing: some sort of government funded health insurance that anyone can participate in.