It's been fun, folks!
Dear Friends, Supporters, and Lovers of All Things Snarky,
Let me make one thing perfectly clear - we didn't want to make this website. We had to. Under the ideal conditions this website wouldn't have been necessary in the first place. And now, as you've no doubt heard by now, those ideal conditions have arrived. Several years late, but better late than never, and thus completely nullifying our very reason to exist as an Internet entity.
In other words, this site is being put out to pasture.
This was an experiment in culture jamming, inspired by artists such as Negativland and The Yes Men. Was it successful? Well, we did get a little bit of national news coverage, and we did get quite a few visits from the domain house.gov (which we could only assume came from Charles Taylor's office). So at the very least we served as a distraction. Every minute spent looking at our site was a minute that Taylor's employees were not working on whatever the hell they work on and get paid rather handsomely for. I guess we'd call it a success in that regard. So... yay us.
This site pretty much went to seed back in September, when it was redesigned to reflect the new look of the official Taylor for Congress website. This will be the site's final update. Registration for the taylorsucks.org domain name expires on January 5, 2007, and I have no intention of renewing it. All of the content will be online until then, and we're trying to make arrangements for this content to be mirrored somewhere. (If a kind and generous soul would like to mirror this site's content, let me know.)
So... now that Rep. Charles Taylor gets to settle into a nice, quiet retirement in his huge-assed mansion on the hill with his millions of dollars earned by climbing on the backs of the working poor, what are some potential uses for a domain name like TaylorSucks.org? Well, how about a website for people who don't like the recent American Idol winner? Or one for disgruntled students of Taylor University? Maybe one for people who live in any one of twelve different towns in the United States named Taylor, and don't like it very much? Maybe you don't agree with the Taylor Rule of economic theory. Perhaps you have a beef with any number of people, famous or otherwise, with the surname or given name Taylor that you don't fancy? Better yet, how about a fansite for adult film actress Brandy Taylor? (From what I understand, the domain name would be appropriate in some circumstances.)
Anyway, big thanks are due to several wonderful people throughout the process of making this site:
- Several of the Asheville-area bloggers, particularly Scrutiny Hooligans, The Syntax of Things, Brainshrub, Bird On the Moon, The Hangover Journals, and Edgy Mama (my apologies if I forgot anyone), have been very, very kind to us since the site's official launch in March 2006. Thank you for your support.
- The support of statewide and national websites such as Pam's House Blend, BlueNC, MyDD, and Daily Kos has been nothing short of phenomenal, and we thank you for that.
- Thanks to Hal Millard of the (Asheville) Mountain Xpress and Cory Reiss of the New York Times for their coverage.
- Thanks also to Jason Woodmansee, the webmaster of our contrapuntal website, the mostly hilarious StopShuler.com.
- Praise be to our visitors. Without visitors, this entire exercise would have been completely pointless.
- We would like to congratulate Heath Shuler for his victory. Don't make us do a "ShulerSucks.org" website!
- Lastly, we'd like to thank Congressman Charles Taylor for being an ideal target for parody.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to the business of studying the rules that govern the way words combine to form phrases and phrases combine to form sentences...
Until next time,
Lyle C. Rashorta