BLACK REPUBLICAN THREATENED BY WHITE SUPREMACISTS AT CHARLOTTE POLLING PLACE: In an interview with the (Raleigh) News & Observer Wednesday night, Partee said he arrived at the polling place around 2:30 p.m. when a fellow volunteer pointed out the three people in the parking lot who had been taking photos that day and previously. Partee, who is a retired homicide detective from New York, said he decided to take down the license plate number of their car — but before he could, the man with the apparent gun jumped out of the car and confronted him. “He said something about being a Republican, I said I am a Republican, he said ‘Motherf***** you ain’t s***,’” Partee said. “They didn’t care whether I was a Democrat or a Republican, they just cared that I was black.”
HOLDING BLASTED IN AD CAMPAIGN FOR BREAKING PROMISE ON PAC DONATIONS: The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee says Republican 2nd District Congressman George Holding "sold you out" in an ad attacking the three-term incumbent for telling voters years ago that he wouldn't take special interest money and then accepting it. "And that's one of the reasons why I got into this campaign," Holding says. "I said I'm not going to take any money from special-interest PACs, because I think that is one of the most corrupting influences in Washington. And good conservatives have gone to Washington and changed on us. And the reason they get to change, and the reason they get to stay up there after they change is because they take money from PACs who don't really care where they stand on conservative issues, and they have the money for re-election." The Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks campaign giving at opensecrets.org, does indeed say that Holding has accepted more than $3 million from business PACs in his career.
TRUMP BLAMES MEDIA REPORTING FOR PIPE BOMBS TARGETING DEMOCRATS: Pipe bombs packed with shards of glass were intercepted en route to several prominent Democrats, including former President Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, in an unnerving wave that deepened political tensions and fears two weeks before national midterm elections. On Thursday, a New York City police bomb squad recovered a suspicious package addressed to actor Robert DeNiro, who has been critical of President Donald Trump. "A very big part of the Anger we see today in our society is caused by the purposely false and inaccurate reporting of the Mainstream Media that I refer to as Fake News," he said in a morning Tweet. "It has gotten so bad and hateful that it is beyond description. Mainstream Media must clean up its act, FAST!"
TRUMP CONTINUES USING PERSONAL CELL PHONE EVEN WITH RUSSIANS AND CHINESE LISTENING: When President Trump calls old friends on one of his iPhones to gossip, gripe or solicit their latest take on how he is doing, American intelligence reports indicate that Chinese spies are often listening — and putting to use invaluable insights into how to best work the president and affect administration policy, current and former American officials said. Mr. Trump’s aides have repeatedly warned him that his cellphone calls are not secure, and they have told him that Russian spies are routinely eavesdropping on the calls, as well. But aides say the voluble president, who has been pressured into using his secure White House landline more often these days, has still refused to give up his iPhones. White House officials say they can only hope he refrains from discussing classified information when he is on them.
SAUDI PROSECUTORS CONFIRM JOURNALIST'S KILLING WAS PREMEDITATED: Saudi prosecutors say the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi was planned, state-run media reported Thursday, reflecting yet another change in the shifting Saudi Arabian account of what happened to the writer who was killed by Saudi officials in their Istanbul consulate. Saudi Attorney General Saud al-Mojeb said investigators concluded that Khashoggi's killing was a premeditated crime after reviewing evidence presented by Turkish officials as part of a joint investigation, according to a statement on the state-run Saudi Press Agency. Saudi Arabia initially insisted Khashoggi had walked out of the consulate after visiting the building on Oct. 2. It later dropped that account for a new one, saying it had detained 18 people for what it said was an accidental killing during a "fistfight."