(This has been in the news for a little while now, but I wanted to keep attention on it and encourage folks to support Heath Shuler with their money or time)
Cross Posted from Scrutiny Hooligans
Since his first Congressional victory back in 1990, Charles Taylor has never trailed in a poll or in an election. That streak just ended.
Anzalone/Liszt Research: "While challenger Heath Shuler has nearly doubled his favorable rating, Taylor’s personal popularity, job rating and re-elect measure all continue to worsen. Taylor’s troubles have turned the race into a statistical dead heat, with Shuler holding a slight lead.
• Shuler now leads Taylor by a 45% to 43% margin. Taylor held a small, seven-point lead in February (47% Taylor/40% Shuler). A torrent of negative press stories connecting Taylor even closer to the Abramoff scandal and on his miscues on the 9-11 monument funding have has hurt Taylor’s standing with voters.
• Taylor receives a weak 50% positive / 45% negative job rating. Taylor’s ratio of positives to negatives is the worst for any incumbent we’ve polled this year.
• Taylor’s high negative job rating has cut him off from potential expansion. Among undecided voters, Taylor has an 52% negative job rating.
• Taylor’s high negatives lead to a net-negative re-elect measure. Just 42% say they would vote to re-elect Taylor, while 48% would vote for someone new. Taylor’s re-elect measure has dropped four points since February (46% re-elect).
• Taylor is battling a very difficult national political environment for Republicans.
A majority of voters (61%) think things in the United States are moving in the wrong direction. George Bush’s job rating is just 38% positive / 61% negative, down from February (44% positive/54% negative). Taylor is fighting national currents without strong personal support measures to give him cover.
• The generic ballot has gotten better for Democrats in just three months. Currently 44% of voters say they are more likely to vote for a Democratic candidate for Congress, while just 36% say they prefer a Republican – an eight-point advantage. In February, the generic ballot was 41% Democrat/39% Republican."
Heath Shuler, a conservative Democrat, is running the smartest campaign ever against this unprincipled Congressman. He's been winning support in the rural western counties while laying the groundwork for a comprehensive campaign. The National Journal recently ranked this the 16th most competitive Congressional race in the nation.
If you've had enough of the dishonest mismanagement of Congressman Charles Taylor, then now's the time to step up and support Heath Shuler. A Shuler victory will be good for the district and will put us one step closer to a democratic majority in Congress.