NCSU BOOTS TWO STUDENTS FOR BIGOTED COMMENTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA: WRAL spoke with several students who said they were disgusted by the comments made by the two individuals. Many of the students also said the university made the right call. “I thought they were disgusting," said Dani Carter, a sophomore at NCSU. "I don’t think anyone should ever say anything like that.” The racist comments that were made quickly circulated social media, sparking an outrage from students. “They think that they are expressing their first amendment right and speak and freedom of speech, and I respect that, but it’s not your first amendment right if you’re expressing hatred, bigotry and racism because that’s not what the US stands for and not what NC State stands for," said NCSU senior Silvana Alfieri.
TILLIS VOTES AGAINST RENAMING BASES NAMED AFTER CONFEDERATE GENERALS: A new push to remove the names of Confederate generals from U.S. military installations, including Fayetteville’s Fort Bragg Army base, advanced in a U.S. Senate committee over the objections of Sen. Thom Tillis of North Carolina. The Republican-led Senate Armed Service Committee approved an amendment to the annual defense spending bill that would require the renaming of those bases within three years, according to reports. Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a Massachusetts Democrat, proposed the amendment. Tillis, a Republican, voted against the amendment in a committee voice vote, meaning no recorded tally. Warren’s amendment would also apply to names, symbols, displays, monuments and paraphernalia on ships, barracks and other military property, she wrote. The Army said it was open to changing the names earlier this week.
JUDGE ISSUES TEMPORARY RESTRAINING ORDER TO CLOSE ACE SPEEDWAY: Superior Court Judge Tom Lambeth said he would issue a temporary restraining order preventing the operators of Ace Speedway in Alamance County from holding further events for now. Earlier this week, state Health and Human Services Secretary Mandy Cohen called the speedway an “imminent hazard," ordered it closed and told the operators to announce the closure publicly. But there was no evidence that father-and-son owners Robert and Jason Turner had done so, leading Cohen to seek a court to intervene. The Democratic governor's restrictions to curb the spread of the coronavirus still limit outdoor mass gatherings to 25 people. Media outlets had reported crowds at the speedway exceeding 2,000 people, including a gathering last Saturday even after Cooper wrote a letter stating the speedway’s actions were in “open defiance” of the health restrictions. Media reports indicated many gathered at three weekend races since late May sat and stood near each other, and few wore masks. Cohen took action after Sheriff Terry Johnson announced he wouldn't issue a citation against the speedway.
THOSE WHO WANT TO ATTEND TRUMP'S TULSA RALLY WILL HAVE TO SIGN CORONA WAIVER: The sign-up page for tickets to President Trump’s campaign rally in Tulsa next week includes something that hasn’t appeared ahead of previous rallies: a disclaimer noting that attendees “voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19” and agree not to hold the campaign or venue liable should they get sick. Trump’s reelection campaign announced Thursday that the president’s next “Make America Great Again” rally will be held June 19 at the BOK Center. The rally comes as the United States has surpassed 2 million confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, with more than 112,000 people dead. More than a dozen states are now tallying record-high new infections; Oklahoma is not among them, although Tulsa County has reported a gradual uptick of new cases since the beginning of June, according to health department data compiled by The Washington Post. At the bottom of the registration page for tickets to the upcoming Trump campaign rally is a disclaimer notifying attendees that “by clicking register below, you are acknowledging that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present.” “By attending the Rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; BOK Center; ASM Global; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury,” the notice states.
BEHIND THE CLOUD OF PANDEMIC AND PROTESTS, TRUMP CONTINUES ANTI-IMMIGRATION PUSH: This week, administration officials proposed a fallback for when they need to lift “emergency” border closure rules for the coronavirus, proposing regulations that would raise the standard of proof for migrants hoping to obtain asylum and allow immigration judges to deny applications for protection without giving migrants an opportunity to testify in court. If adopted, the rules would lay a framework of restrictionist immigration policies that can be enforced after rules rooted in the pandemic are lifted. The administration last month extended a coronavirus border rule that effectively blocked tens of thousands of migrants from seeking asylum at the southwestern border In April, President Trump issued an executive order temporarily suspending the issuance of green cards to many outside the United States and is expected to limit certain visas issued to immigrants seeking temporary work in the country. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos issued an emergency rule on Thursday night barring colleges from granting virus relief funds to foreign and undocumented students, including tens of thousands protected under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival program, or DACA. “Whether it’s restrictions to legal immigration or further gutting the asylum system, the goal to reduce immigration to its lowest level possible continues to be at the forefront of this administration’s decision-making,” said Aaron Reichlin-Melnick, the policy counsel the American Immigration Counsel. Other programs that have largely halted asylum at the border partly rely on the cooperation of foreign governments, including a bilateral deal that deports asylum seekers to Guatemala to seek protections and an agreement that forces migrants to wait in Mexico for the duration of their asylum case in the United States. The proposal pushed forward by the Justice Department and the Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday night would ensure that such restrictive policies remain in place, allowing the administration to unilaterally seal off asylum seekers.