There has been some talk on the site about the creation of a 100 county strategy for the state in 2008. I have been thinking about it since before the election and I have come up with some ideas. Let me say that I know that I am new to NC so some of my planks are more general and could be (and I believe should be) applied to all states, but I still think that they are good ideas. The second thing is that in my experience working in politics, the majority of what I have done has been field work. This has made me a devoted advocate of field. I truly believe that I dollar spent in field is worth 5 spent on TV ads.
So here is the plan:
1) Hold all current office holders accountable. This includes everything from Dog Catcher up to Gov., Sen., etc.
2) Create, support and help fund local county organizations in every county. Even here in Buncombe there are precincts that do not have leadership. This needs to be fixed in every county in the State.
3) Every Race in every county needs to be challenged by a Dem. No Repthuglican should win because they are not opposed in the election.
4) In races where a Democratic challenger ran a good race and started to develop ID against an incumbent, encourage them to run again. In 2 years they won't have to fight the ID battle.
5) The creation of a State wide, grassroots/netroots controlled and run political data base to include voting records etc.
6) Ask all Progressive/Populists to get involved in the local parties to ensure the completion of this program and to foster the creation of a Pro-Pop grassroots in the state.
7) Create National and State PACs to help finance candidates, field operations etc.
8) Creation of paid Congressional District coordinators to ensure that all candidates are getting the attention that they need to and ensure that the above is being done. This could be paid for in combination by the State, Local, and National Parties as well as by donations from individuals and groups (i.e. Young Dems, Woman Caucuses, AFL-CIO, etc).
9) Get and collate all the volunteer, donor and voter files from the last election to keep us from starting and square one. (See 5 above as one way of doing this)
10) Finally, continue to create an effective netroots in NC that can serve as a liaison to the national netroots, but also can serve as a clearing house for opinion, activism and for holding the powers that be feet to the fire.
Over the next few days, as I need a break from writing my senior undergraduate thesis, I will explain the planks one by one and flesh them out.